Table of Contents
Every second huge amount of data is generated, which must be analyzed for further investigation and usage. To analyze those data, we need data analysts who analyze data by taking various tasks, including typical duties like extracting the data needed, analyzing them, and maintaining the data systems.
Data analysis involves inspection, cleaning, transforming, and modeling the data to conclude to support the project.
What is a data analytics internship?
Data is the new oil. Thus, we need data analysts to analyze data and maintain it for further usage. A data analytics internship is a beginners level program which includes the role of mining data and performing various data related quality task in the analytical department of a company. You need to carry out tasks and co-operate with senior data analysts and data scientists in various projects.
A data analyst’s job includes:
- Descriptive analysis: To analyze the events that occurred over a given time,
- Diagnostic analysis: To conclude why something happened,
- Predictive analysis: To predict the consequence by analyzing available data,
- Prescriptive analysis: To suggest what steps should be taken further.
A data analyst internship can prove to be your first step towards being a data scientist.
Data analytics internship for freshers
Big companies need data analysts to manage data and improve the overall efficiency of their products and services. For the rapidly growing tech world, data analysis is a major requirement and so do analytics internships that can help you to move further in your career. You can familiarise yourself with the technologies and advancements in data analysis under the guidance of some experienced professionals. When it comes to internships for freshers, founded by Sarvesh Agrawal, Internshala is the go-to site. You can search according to your location and expected payout, write an outstanding application and wait for a little for them to contact you.
Data analytics internship work-from-home
After the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, there has been a surge in work from a home culture so you can do a data analysis internship right from the comfort of your home. You can opt for either a part-time or full-time work-from-home internship. Carefully read the descriptions which usually require processing and evaluating data, executing data-related tasks, preparing reports, and supporting the data team. The leading professional networking site, LinkedIn has plenty of companies that offer remote work. You must try applying to some internships which are listed later in this article.
Data analytics internship jobs
Get your skills polished and your resume prepared, and apply to your desired companies for jobs on various job portals or company websites. Landing a job will require you to enhance your technical skills and soft skills as well. The technical skills usually involve some advanced excel skills, being comfortable with programming languages, and soft skills include verbal communication, critical thinking, and co-operation with fellow mates. The payout for entry-level is somewhat low though it increases along with your expertise. Try your hands on these choices on Google jobs.
Every second huge amount of data is generated which is required to be analyzed for further investigation and usage. To analyze those data we need data analysts who analyze data by taking various tasks which include typical duties like extracting the data needed, analyzing them, and maintaining the data systems.
Data analysis involves inspection, cleaning, transforming, and modeling the data to conclude to support the project.
Top 5 online platforms to get data analytics internship
Bookmark these websites to start applying to your desired companies as a data analyst intern. These are some of the largest platforms where you can apply:
- Stack Overflow: Stack Overflow is a leading name in the data world. It has grown as one of the largest data science job boards where you can search for jobs through keywords or location. They also have future vacancies that match your criteria.
- Big Data Jobs: This website was created by software engineers to make it simple for employees to attract and identify big data talents. It serves as an alternative to job websites like indeed and monster. Start hunting and apply soon.
- Analytics Vidhya: This is India’s leading online analytics community and you can search for plenty of data science jobs on this platform in accordance with your skills and location.
- Amazon jobs: Amazon is the leading employer in terms of data science jobs. Yes! Vacancies are open for a broad range of senior data scientists to intern roles on their official website. Visit websites of all the major tech companies like Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook, etc.
- Glassdoor: This is one of the largest job boards and there are a plethora of companies you can apply to shape your career path. Create your account and start applying.
Data analytics internship salary
The average salary of a data analyst stands at $47,528 to $63,714 and it has a massive growth rate of 20% which will rise substantially. More than money, an internship will move you forward to better roles and higher expertise.
As per PayScale the average salary in the USA for data analysts is the highest worldwide which stands at $61,307/year. However, the average pay in India results in $5,898 per annum.
Data analytics internship summer 2021
Here are some of the top internships where you should apply this summer:
GE explorer digital technology data analytics program: This is an opportunity to use your skills like SQL, critical thinking, data storytelling, and data visualization. The program is free of cost and a certificate will be generated after completion of the internship.
JP Morgan software engineering virtual experience: JP Morgan is one of the biggest companies where you apply your expertise through this internship. You will get a certificate free of cost after completion of the internship.
Tesla Internship Programs: Who doesn’t knows about Tesla? Tesla provides data analyst internships to freshers to support their careers. If you are good at thinking out of the box and have pretty many skills then you will be able to crack the interview smoothly.
Skills required to get a data analytics internship
About 50% of data analysts have a bachelor’s degree and 41.9% have a master’s degree. Even though these internships do not require any major college degree but you need to have a strong portfolio. Major expertise is not required though your basics should be strong.
The major skills required to get a data analytics internship include:
- Having a good knowledge of the most used programming languages like R, Python SQL, Oracle.
- Basic data-related tasks, like data cleaning, data mining, etc.
- Have a good knowledge of the basic mathematical statistics and inferential statistics
- Analytical and strategic thinking
- Creative thinking
- Excel, PowerPoint, digital tools for shared information management
- Communication skills
An internship gives you all the knowledge that the textbooks or videos can’t and your senior data analyst will help you solve some real-world difficulties and you will learn to work in a good team because you will be performing under various data scientists and data analysts as an intern or an employee.
Becoming a data analyst involves mainly three steps:
- The first is to acquire the skills to get a good grasp on Microsoft office features, programming languages like Java python C++, R, and mathematics.
- Secondly, take part in hackathons, various competitions to build your digital portfolio. Put your projects here to showcase the recruiters
- Lastly, apply and ace the interview. Prepare for interview questions and research about the company you are going to apply to.
Tips to crack data science interview
To add some extra scores to your resume, get these key points into exercise:
- Languages: The two most popular programming tools are Python and R, and you must be familiar with at least one of these two. R is mainly used to explain the descriptive analysis and it has a bigger library base and python is preferable used for machine learning and deep learning tasks and has various such libraries and packages.
- Digital presence: Be present on social media as a data scientist on professional sites like Github, Better codes, The Code Project, and code review to build your portfolio and good connections. Build your digital portfolio on GitHub. A good profile is one of the most important things as it is your resume which anyone in the world can access. Write clean notes and contribute to open source projects to get the game on the next level.
- Projects: Keep a look at what projects you have on your resume and have a good command over them because not knowing your projects is a red flag for the recruiters. Also, you need to know about the company you are applying to. You must know what the company does, their vision. Before applying have a good research about the company to understand what you are going to add to that company.
- Compete: Participating in a data analytics competition can help you boost your resume and increase the chance of an internship or job. You can participate in hackathons and practice your skills. One of the basic things is to update your resume. Try adding a professional summary of what you have done reflecting where you want to be further and the skills you want to acquire. The course work that you have taken and provided the employer with an outlook of what you have in your education and skills.
- Extracurriculars: Extracurriculars! Yes, it is very important to add if you were head of the data science club or you were working on some data science journals. You may add your projects, it gives the recruiter structure of what skills you will bring to the company. We are all set! Now, let’s have a look at some internships where you must apply.
KPMG data analytics virtual internship
KPMG is one of the leading Data analytics consulting firms where you can apply for a virtual internship. The virtual internship is free and consists of modules to practice your areas and upload the tasks and compare your work with KPMG model answers. You will get a complete module of learning and experience as a data analyst. The only disadvantage is that you will get a virtual internship, real-time experience is not provided.
Facebook data analytics internship
Facebook brings opportunities through the Facebook Careers platform. Among the various roles, a data analytics internship of 8 weeks is paid to mentor students with hands-on experience. They require you to have some exposure to programming languages like Python, SQL, Java, scripting languages and get hold over basic arithmetic and simple algebra.
Reneging EY Technology summer advisory for BlackRock Tech Data Analytics Internship
EY is one of the big four service companies in the world and it provides the best internships for passionate data analysts. The average pay of an hour is $25 and an assured stipend is provided for food and housing. Apply at EY through a job search for an entry-level program as a data analyst. They have a plethora of roles where you can try your skills. You may check the available vacancies from the dedicated web page of EY.
Companies that offer data analytics internship
With the increase in technology, various tech giants need data analysts for the management of their huge data sets that are generated each second. Here are some leading companies that offer data analyst internships:
- Google: Big companies like Google who work with data need data analysts for their organization. You can apply at the Google website as an intern to the foreign offices if you want to opt for an international internship. Send your resume either to the portals or HR to apply.
- IBM: IBM offers a 12-week internship program for professionals through which you can get expertise in your field and can contribute to ongoing projects. This internship can turn into a full-time job too.
- Intel: To get an internship at Intel you need to contact the organization. The company offers three to six months of internship to freshers.
- Amazon: Amazon is one of the top recruiting companies when it comes to data science. Apply for an internship as a data analyst through the website by registering and applying for an internship. An internship at Amazon can give a boost to your resume.
Also, read how data science internship can make you king in 2021
Internships give an idea of what roles you will be playing in your career. As a data analyst, you will get expertise in your skill with an internship. You will get hands-on experience on various data-related terms like data mining, data cleaning, interpreting, storytelling, report writing, and many others. It boosts your confidence and helps build connections with professionals. It will make your resume strong and will boost your chances to get a higher-paying job.
Polish your skills and start applying now!
What should I search on Glassdoor to find data analyst intern jobs?
Search for data analytics internship, business analyst summer intern, data scientist intern, data analyst. Be specific with your keywords.
What companies are hiring for data analyst intern jobs?
Some hiring companies are Mind Works Global, Disprz, PerkinElmer, Eminenture, Autodesk, Merkle Sokrati, State Street, CareerXperts.com.
Has anyone in the UK had any experience with Techway Placement for a data analyst internship scheme?
Yes, the mentorship and experience program for data analyst internship has helped many to get opportunities in the UK.
Is a business systems analyst internship helpful for future data analytics?
A business systems analyst internship helps to get expertise in advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills, SQL proficiency and a higher mathematical ability. The skills are similar to those of data analytics. Hence, an internship in business analyst can result in higher pay for data analytics in future.
Do top companies offer data analytics internships in the USA?
Yes, top companies in the USA like SAS institute, Amazon, Splunk, etc. offer great internships for graduate-level interns.