Table of Contents
One of the top tech companies with thousands of employees managing various apps, Facebook’s data science internship can boost your career. The program has been designed to provide the best training and attract the brightest data enthusiasts.
Facebook offers a demographically diverse set of internship programs to bring out the best in the underrepresented regions with the FBU-Facebook University, an eight-week data science internship program to attract talented individuals, a university grad track for recent college graduates, and a traditional twelve-week internship. With its fast pacing tech environment, Facebook expects its interns to be quick-thinkers and creative enough to contribute towards developing great apps.
What is a Facebook data science internship?
Facebook data science internship is an eight-week paid summer internship for qualified talents from underrepresented regions. The program assesses you with hands-on experience with one on one mentorship. Facebook lays stress on demographic-specific tracks instead of having a wide internship program. It also has a University grad track for recent college graduates and a traditional twelve-week summer internship. The company demands quick thinkers and adaptable young talents who thrive to produce sustainable products for the future.
Facebook data science internship salary
Facebook is one of the highest paying companies that offer incentives along with high pay. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a Data Scientist Intern is $1,19,747 per year in the United States. The payout is much higher than the salary paid by IBM, Google, Amazon, and Tesla. Facebook interns also receive additional benefits like full-funded airfare for completing their internship, a housing stipend, complimentary meals, and shuttle services.
Facebook data science internship: summer fellowship
Facebook has come forward to coach talents so as to assist them with budding technological fields. With its specifically built internship program for various regions, it aims to upskill talents in different fields of work. Facebook wholeheartedly welcomes diversity in mind with people of broad skill sets and experience.
With the Covid-19 pandemic, some new precautions have been taken for interviewing candidates. The virtual interview tips are added to Facebook’s blog.
For Facebook Data Science Internship Interview
Facebook recruits some of the best talents in the world. The interview format is split into two parts for a data science intern position:
Phone/Screen interview: The interview involves a 30-45 minute phone or screen talk with you to understand your interests in the company and in which department you would like to work and if your prospects align with Facebook. And, a technical screening to test your abilities. The technical screen always consists of one product question and one data analysis question. In the technical portion, the recruiters will give you a question to test your ability to translate a high standard question, execute strategy, and how you approach the problem and its further aspects.
On-site interview: After cracking the previous interviews, you will be having an on-site interview at the Facebook office. The interview is usually 2.5 hours long with three or four interviews with little breaks in between. The recruiter will interview you at various in-house departments to ensure you get the best-suited department for yourself.
What is Facebook University for data analytics (FBU Analytics)
Facebook University for Data Analytics (FBU Analytics) is a paid, eight-week summer internship program that consists of training through world class hands-on projects guided by a Facebook mentor. The program is created to provide individuals from underrepresented regions with data science opportunities.
Program Details and Benefits of Facebook Data Science Internship
- You participate in an Analytics development training course.
- Working on a project under a mentor.
- Apply current programming knowledge and learn new technologies.
Minimum Requirements For Facebook Data Science Internship
- Students who are currently enrolled as a 2nd-year student in a 4-year BA/BS program (or equivalent program for special cases) in Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, Operations Research, or related technical field, at a university within the United States.
- Some early exposure to a programming language (Python, SQL, Java, and/or C++)
- Some earlier work with at least one scripting language (PHP, Perl, Python, etc.)
- A solid hold over basic arithmetic and simple algebra.
- Must obtain and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- The candidate must be present for the entirety of the internship which is June 2021 – August 2021.
- Must be available to work in the United States during the internship.
- Applicants have to submit their resumes, college transcripts, and responses to a writing exercise.
Preferred Qualifications For Facebook Data Science Internship
Facebook expects its workforce to be advanced in terms of problem solving and skills. An early exposure through internships, work, or projects in the related field is appreciated. They need to demonstrate passion in building sustainable technologies to get the communities together.
How should I prepare for a data scientist interview at Facebook?
Interviews at Facebook are difficult than Amazon and Google yet easier than Airbnb.
- Polish your skills: You need to have brilliant skills. Work on getting expertise in languages. You will be given a data set and to write a SQL query or Pandas code to analyze the provided data and approach the expected result. This is completed using a code editor and the interview will judge you on how easily you take the necessary data to obtain a conclusion. They test how fluently you write code.
- Build your resume and portfolio: Facebook demands highly talented individuals. A strong resume and proficient portfolio attract the recruiters. So, do not forget to add projects, add experiences if you have any.
- Prepare your application: Get the requirements, documents, and links. Some internships such as the Facebook University eight-week internship sometimes ask applicants to write essays.
- Ace the interview: Before jumping to answer make sure to clarify questions. They test your thinking ability and will be interviewing on machine learning, statistics, programming languages, and how to solve business questions and problems. Their main concern is how creatively you look at problems while solving them. Even if you are not getting the correct answer, the focus is more on how you engage yourself with the problem. Try your skills on the interview questions, with the probable questions posted on Glassdoor
Note that you need to write real code. Pseudocodes are not acceptable as the recruiter wants to see real SQL codes being written and it is highly suggested by Facebook to write in SQL as this is the language that Facebook uses.
How to get in Facebook data science internship?
The first and foremost task is to upskill yourself. The absolute ground zero starts from building up common terminologies. Learn your languages, get your skills some plus points with projects and internships. You need to apply through the Facebook careers website. Make sure your application is error-free. If your resume stands out then the Facebook team will contact you back in a week. Happy applying!
Facebook Data science internship reviews
Facebook is indeed one of the top companies to work for. Though it has its own pros and cons. The payout and environment are more than satisfactory. As Facebook is a fast pacing company it demands employees to go a little extra from their potential to reach extraordinary milestones. So, there are chances of work-life imbalance. You may read the reviews posted by the present as well as ex-employees at Glassdoor
Data scientist intern at Airbnb vs Infrastructure data scientist intern at Facebook?
A data scientist intern at Airbnb works with some cool tech as it is a younger company. The interview at Airbnb is quite difficult than Facebook. At Airbnb, you need to clean and analyze much more data, since it gathers data from third parties as compared to Facebook which has a giant collection of data from valid sources that need a bit less cleaning. As an infrastructure data scientist, you will be working on data related to infrastructural sets and the improvement of products and cross-functionally with other departments.
What is it like to be at a Facebook data scientist internship?
Facebook interns are given full trust with product development and other data stuff. It depends on your field and the projects you are assigned.
What does a data scientist at Facebook do?
Data science interns play a broad role at Facebook by getting involved in setting goals, analyzing products, and solving problems.
How much does Facebook pay its intern?
Facebook offers an average monthly stipend of $8,000 to its interns. Facebook’s monthly stipend is the highest in the US.
Should I accept an internship offer from Facebook data science internship or a Microsoft software engineering internship?
Clear out on what products you want to work, then make a decision. Both are power-packed companies. Facebook is a fast-growing company with startup-like air whereas Microsoft is a well-established company with the smartest brains.