Table of Contents
When it comes to choosing your career between two hot topics, they are Linux system administration and python data science, it’s extremely difficult to make a decision. In this article, we are going to discuss some of the most common key aspects that you should keep in mind when you are choosing between the before-mentioned career opportunities.
What Is Linux System Administration and Python Data Science
Before we jump into the comparisons we must have a basic understanding of the duties performed by these professionals. Let’s start by discussing the duties performed by a data scientist and the qualities he should possess, as you know it’s our favorite topic.
Duties Of A Data Scientist
There are many fundamental duties assigned to a data scientist, they are
- Asking the right questions : Data science is all about asking some questions and finding its solution by using data that we have gathered from different sources.
- Aquire, process and clean data: Data is spread across many sources gathering data from them and filtering out the useles data is very important to save time and computing power.
- Integrate and store data: storing data on databases is very important and choosing best storage system and doing database management is very important skill for a data scientist.
- Data Investigation and analysis: A good data analyst will have a better understanding over the kind of data he is dealing with, so a data scientist should have skills and patience to efficiently understand the genere of data he is dealing with.
- Choosing best model and algorithm for analysis: there are many data science models and tools out there so choosing the best which suits your need out of them is very important.
- Application of data analysis tools like machine learning, statistical modeling and artificial intelligence: these are the tools used to interpolate data, data scientists should have some basic knowledge on these topics also.
- Improve and measure results: no results or insights are complete, and todays fiindings may or maynot be usefull tomorrow so our systems and analysis methods should always be updated as per the demand.
- Making final report and present final results to respected authorities: finding useful insights alone is not enough, we as a data scientist is required to present the analysis report to the authority.
- Making changes as per the need of authorities: the authority may or maynot be satisfied with your result or may sometimes ask you to make changes next time.
- Developing new strategies to solve new problems: new problems or challenges keeps on popping around again and agian no matter how hard we work, we should always develop new strategies to tackle with the new type of problems.
It may seem like a lot of work for one employee, but the reality is all these different works are performed by different employees from different job titles.
Some of the major job titles in the field of data science are
- Data scientist
- Data analyst
- Data engineers
- Business intelligence specialist
- Data architect
All the before-mentioned hefty jobs are handled by these professionals. Each of these positions is completely different from each other and the skills required for each of them are also different.
Duties Of Linux System Administrator
The duties of a Linux System Administrator are more vigilant and complex when compared to a data scientist, a Linux system administrator has to be always cautious about a chance for an upcoming cyber attack on the system. Some of the fundamental duties that a Linux system administrator has to do is listed below:(it is worth noting that system administrator is often referred to as SysAdmin)
- Managing Linux systems: To ensure data organization and consistency, the SysAdmin will usually place policies and procedures around the way files are organized and shared within the organization
- Installing and configuring system tools, software and hardwares: SysAdmin has to take care of the softwares and hardwares that are required to ensure the safety of the system.
- Troubleshooting and providing techical support to employees: SysAdmin has the responsibility to provide technical assisatnce to other employees regarding the updations in the system or any other system related infrastructures.
- Conduct regular network monitoring and security tests: Monitoring core server and network metrics like CPU, disk usage, DNS, latency can help SysAdmin to detect an incident.
- Maintaining networks: SysAdmins have the responsibility to maintain networks and to keep them up 24/7 in order to keep the user satisfaction and for security reasons.
All the before-mentioned jobs are too complex and require attention 24/7.
There are not many job titles involved in the system administration field, but some companies often have different positions called network administrators, who take care of network-related issues in the organization.
Skills Required For Data Science And SysAdmin
As we have seen both these jobs are handling different domains skillset required for both these jobs are also different. Let’s see what are the skills required for these jobs.
First, let us discuss skills required for a data scientist.
- Statistical analysis: Identifying patterns, data detection and anomaly detection.
- Programming: Need to write computer programs to analyze large datasets to find meaningful insights and answers for complex questions. Python,Java And R are the most common programming languages used.
- Data Storytelling: We have discussed it as one of the fundamental duty of a data scientist. A good data scientist should have good communication skill, he should be able to deliver all his findings to the respected authorities with usage of minimal words.
- Analytical Thinking: Find analytical solutions for business issues
- Critical Thinking: Application of objective analysis before coming to conclusions is important
These are some of the most important skills a data scientist should have among many others like interpersonal skills and machine learning skills.
Now Let’s see whats are the skillset required for SysAdmin
- In-depth knowledge of operating systems: No matter wether its Linux, Windows or Mac a SysAdmin should have in-depth knowledge on the operating system in which he is working on.
- Hardware Familiarity: Working with physical devices like printers servers.etc
- Familiarity With Cloud Enviornments: Google Apps, Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS as some of the common and most commonly used cloud platforms.
- Basic Knowledge About Networks: Being able to setup and run Local Area Networks (LAN) and Wide Area Networks (WAN).
- Good Communiction Skills and Interpersonal Skills: When working as a team SysAdmin have the responsibility to help other employees who doesnt have same technical knowledge.
Data Scientist V/S System Administrator
Now you have the basic knowledge about both the fields, we have discussed different duties and skills required for each job. Hope you get enough information to make a decision by yourself, but this information is not enough. We have to consider lot more factors like salary, social recognition, future-proofing .etc before jumping to a conclusion. So in this part let us discuss them
|Data Science||System Administrator||Remark|
|Salary||$120,091||$75,455||Average Pay Scale For American employee per annum, as per data provided by indeed|
|Social Recognition||Data scientists have more opportunities to exhibit their talents.||System administrators rarely get the glory they deserve.||Nil|
|Salary Satisfaction||68%||57%||Calculated as per average living costs in the area|
|Future Proof||YES||YES||There are some common threats like Automation that may affect these jobs.|
Where To Learn Python Data Science And Linux System Administration
No matter whether you are working as a data scientist or system administrator you should have a strong desire to learn new skills and knowledge because this field is continuously evolving and keeping pace with the rate of development is actually a very hard task. In this section, we are going to see some of the great sources out there that you can use to learn data science and system administration. Some of them are free while some are paid certification courses.
Linux System Administration Courses
This course is offered by Google and is available on Coursera, you can enroll in this course for free but if you want to get the professional certificate you need to pay for it. Since the course is coming from an IT giant it’s guaranteed that all the required stuff from basics to the extreme will be covered in the syllabus.
The course is suitable for beginners
This is a great source to learn Linux System Administration, and the certificate value is so good that it will bring some reputation to your resume if you are a certified Redhat Linux system administrator. But the course doesn’t come for free, and some prerequisites are needed in order to follow their content. You can always use their pre-enrollment assessment test for free and check whether that course suits you before paying. Along with paid courses they also have free certification courses also.
we would suggest this course for professionals who are seeking a job promotion and not for beginners
If you are low on budget and still want to learn Udemy is a great source, all their courses come at an affordable price and certificate value is also average. But care has to be taken while selecting a course because there will be a lot of useless content also, check and make sure that the instructor of the course is reputable enough to teach you.
courses on udemy are suitable for beginners and they have good offers running every month, where you can get that certification course at an offer price so do check it out.
Python Data Science Courses
This specialization is offered by the University of Michigan and is available on Coursera. It has 5 courses focused on key data science principles and fundamentals.
the course is designed for beginners and anyone without any prior experience or prerequisites could join the course and master the skill.
This course will make you proficient in using the most common Python data science packages including NumPy, pandas, scikit & matplotlib.
the course is suitable for beginners, and covers only basics, and is not a specialization course
Along with these Data Camp also have nice courses available, you can check them also.
What Advise Would You Give Someone Who Is Changing Careers To Venture Into Between Data Science Python VS Linux System Administration Redhat In Terms Of Opportunities And Salaries?
As we have seen above data science is the best career opportunity when compared to Linux system administration in every aspect, be it opportunities, salary, or social recognition. As per indeed 43% of Linux system administrators find It difficult to live with the salary they are getting. On average a Linux system administrator gets only $75K, which is then subjected to taxes and living expenses. Also system administrator technically never gets off time, because e has the responsibility to secure the system 24/7, and an attack may happen at any point in time.
On the other hand, 67% of data scientists are happy with the amount they are paid. On average an American data scientist is paid $120K per annum.
Even though we can’t predict the future I will share my speculation about the status of these two job positions. Since many Linux system administrators are learning data science and planning to migrate their career into data science, it creates scarcity for system administrator job positions, but the number of cyberattacks happening per day is keeping on increasing. Which will increase the need for more SysAmins and network admins.
Since data science is a hot topic many are learning it and there is a huge supply of data scientists, of course, there is a huge demand for data scientists in the industry. But there will be high competition among the data scientists and jobs will be a little more challenging.
Chances are in the future salary paid for data scientists may see only a small increment and stays almost constant, but the current salary of SysAdmin will surely increase since there is a scarcity for good SysAdmins. since most of the systems are based on Linux and Windows It worth learning those skills.
In this article we have discussed two different domains in the IT world, they are data science and system administration. Both these jobs are critical for any company or business, a bad data analyst giving wrong insights about data will result in millions of dollars lost in marketing or R&D on the other hand carelessness by a bad system administrator could potentially lead to millions of dollars in lost revenue and negative customer experiences. So both these jobs are critical and are required to be handled by professionals.
Hope this article adds value to your knowledge and I believe it helped you to make a decision, if so considers sharing this article with your friends also check other informative articles from edudataonline. And all the best for your learning journey.