The University of California, Irvine and the University of California, Los Angeles both are public institutions in California. The universities are known for giving many Nobel Laureates and premier education to learners. However, UCLA has better rankings and an exceptional status for it has been there for more years than UCI.
UCI offers a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in data science. The programs are of 4 years and 15 months respectively.
UCLA has four programs for statistics courses, bachelor’s, master’s, Ph.D., and an Applied Statistics program.
Let’s go through the available information about these universities and determine which suits you better.
|University of California, Irvine||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Location||Irvine, CA||Los Angeles, CA|
|Tuition (In State)||$11,442 (Approx)||$11,442 (Approx)|
|Tuition (International Students)||$41,196 (Approx)||$41,196 (Approx)|
|Average Grant Aid||$18,934||$19,595|
|% of Students Receiving Grant Aid||57%||51%|
|High school GPA required||3.9||4.5|
|Application Competition||High||Very High|
|Application Deadline||November of each year||November of each year|
Table of Contents
UCI Data Science
Bachelor’s in Data Science and a Master’s in Data Science. The program enables students to apply their knowledge of statistical and computational principles to analyze and solve real-world data specific problems. The course involves algorithms, data management, machine learning, Bayesian statistics, visualization, and many other topics.
|Degree Type||Bachelor’s Degree||Master’s Degree|
|Duration||4 years||15 months|
|Type||Full time||Full time|
|Tuition Fee ( per year)||38,800 USD (Approx)||40,000 USD (Approx)|
|Language Proficiency||TOEFL, IELTS||TOEFL, IELTS|
|Exams accepted||ACT, SAT||GRE|
For B.S. in Data Science:
- Cumulative UC GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- 3.0 or higher GPA with grades not less than C for ICS 31, ICS 32, and one of the following: Math 2A, Math 2B, Math 2D, ICS 6B, or ICS 6D.
- A1 and A2 grades or scores above 80
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution. Students with STEM degrees will be given preference.
- TOEFL: 80
- IELTS: 7 With a score of no less than 6 on any individual module
- GRE: Accepted
- Letter of recommendation, essays, etc. is required while applying.
- Statistical Methods for Data AnalysisBayesian Data Analysis
- Probability and Statistics
- Critical Writing and Communication in Information Technology
- Data Management and Visualization
- Designing and Analysing of Algorithms
- Linear Algebra
- Machine Learning
The Master in Data Science program has an intensive curriculum with advanced learning outcomes. The main topics in the course are
- Mathematical statistics,
- Data management,
- Machine learning,
- Artificial intelligence,
- Data visualization,
- Programming with R, Python, or Java, etc.,
- Data informatics,
- Presentation skills, and many more.
The program has a Capstone course to polish your applied skills.
For the BS in Data Science, the tuition fee per year is about 38,800 USD and the cost of living sums up to 30,000 USD per year.
Whereas for a Master in Data Science, the average fee per year is 40,000 USD and the cost of living is near to 35,000 USD in a year.
No such scholarship information is available on the university website. You may apply to non-college specific scholarships.
The University of California, Irvine ranks 35th among National Universities and 61st among the best undergraduate teachings.
The university holds a rank of 98 among universities worldwide as per reports by The World University Rankings in 2021.
VISA & Work Study Process:
You may apply for a VISA following these steps:
- Having a valid I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) visa document from UC Irvine.
- Paying the SEVIS Fee (only if applicable)
- Making a visa appointment and appearing for an interview at a U.S. consulate/embassy.
Work Study Program:
The work-study program is assessed on financial aid eligibility. The amount earned is listed on the student’s “My Aid Award” page.
The student has to work to be able to receive funds.
It allows students to gain work experience and pay for their educational expenses.
As a work-study recipient, you have to obtain a work-study job either on-campus or off-campus at a nonprofit agency.
The University of California Los Angeles offers four programs in statistics, namely, Bachelor’s in Statistics, Master’s in Statistics, Applied Statistics program, and Ph.D. in Statistics. The university has potentially high world rankings and a benchmark in education.
|Degree Type||Bachelor’s Degree||Master’s Degree||Ph.D.||Applied Statistics|
|Duration||4 years||1 year||5 years||1.5 years|
|Type||Full time||Full time||Full time||Full time|
|Tuition Fee per year||43,100 USD||32,646 USD||31,370 USD||32,665 USD|
|Language Proficiency||TOEFL, IELTS||TOEFL, IELTS||TOEFL, IELTS||TOEFL, IELTS|
|Exams accepted||ACT, SAT||GRE||GRE||GRE|
- GPA: 3.4
- IELTS: 7
- TOEFL: 100
- ACT and SAT should be taken.
Demonstration of English proficiency is mandatory.
- Students must hold a bachelor’s degree in STEM subjects.
- Have a GPA of 3.2 out of 4.0 in the undergraduate course.
- IELTS: 7
- TOEFL: 100
- GRE: 326 at least out of 340
- Must have completed a master’s degree from a recognized institution.
- Students must hold a GPA of at least 3.5.
- Submission of GRE score enhances the acceptance probability.
- Statement of Purpose: It is an essay or personal statement a student has to submit while applying, it consists of the purpose or intent of applying to the university.
- CV/ Resume: An outline of academic records, achievements, awards, publications, work experience, etc.
- Two Letter of Recommendation: It includes the information of a student, why they are applying, and stating their eligibility to join as a person.
- Official Academic Records: It contains transcripts of educational qualifications from the official education department which is concerned with the student.
The curriculum includes an intensive study of statistics and its applied forms. The programs have different topics like machine learning, programming with different languages, data science, statistical computing, and its different methods. The curriculum for different programs are as follows:
Some main topics in the course are-
- Statistical Reasoning
- Data Science
- Data Management
- Statistical methods in different real-world fields.
- Programming with R, Python, or others.
For Master’s Degree:
- Experimental design methods
- Computational statistics
- Sampling and analysis
- Statistical modeling
- Theoretical statistics
- Machine learning
- Applied Probability
- Computational statistics
- Design and pattern visualization in statistics.
For Applied statistics:
The Applied Statistics program aims at rigorous training for the applied aspects of statistics in various fields. The curriculum includes
- Mathematical statistics
- Data Management and visualization
- Applied regression and statistics
- Probability models for analysis
- Statistical computing
- For BSc in statistics: The four year tuition fee for BSc. program at UCLA costs 43,100 USD per year.
- For Master’s in statistics: The average tuition fee per year for a Master’s degree at UCLA is 32,646USD.
- For Ph.D. in statistics: The Ph.D. program of 5 years sums up to a tuition fee of 156,893 USD in total.
- Applied statistics: The tuition fee for the program costs 32,665 USD per year.
Note: These are tuition fees only, the total expense will include the cost of living and other requirements.
UCLA offers scholarships on the basis of needs, merit, talents, or background.
The University of California, Los Angeles ranks 15th in the world and at number 2 among the U.S. public universities.
Visa and Work permit in UCLA
You can proceed with a valid F-1 visa. You may apply with the necessary documents-
- Copy of your valid passport
- Passport size photographs
- Acceptance letter from UCLA
- Scholarship or Sponsorship letters if applicable
- I-20 form by the university.
- Health Examination Form
After successful completion of documents filing, you will have to appear for a visa interview. Upon completion, you may fly to UCLA.
The issued work permit is valid as you get a valid US student visa. You will be allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week.
So, which is beneficial?
UCLA has been a prestigious college for a long time, it has the most intensively advanced statistics programs. The university aims at producing world-class statisticians through advanced theoretical and practical applications of statistics. Whereas UCI is a newly established institution as compared to UCLA. UCI has a higher acceptance rate and lesser cost for the programs. The data science programs at UCI are highly ranked in the US as compared to UCLA.
If you want to make a career in data science then UCI should be a priority and if you are willing for statistics, then UCLA is the best option. Since data science has growing demand, it will be beneficial to opt for UCI Data Science Programs.